It is located on the southern slope at the Bademlibahçe
district. It can be seen from every point of the town. It is
temple-type tomb built in the fourth century B.C. in Ionian style.
There two columns on the facade. The base of the column is 71 cm.
high and the upper portion is broken. On the upper portion of the
wall projections of the tomb there is a series of decorations in
the form of three rosettes. Higher up, there is a pediment with
three acroteries in the form of human heads two of which are
demolished. Beneath this, there is a row of serrations. In the
inscription half-way on the ante wall on the left, Amintas, son of
Hermapias is mentioned. Passing through the columns, there is a
door with two wings, in imitation of wooden structure, in two
parts. Only the lower section of the right wing is open. The
borders of this opening, which must have supported a sliding stone
or lumber originally, are broken. The heads of the nails for the
wings are still discernible. The grave chamber is reached by
stepping over a threshold of 40 cm. and a step. There are three
couches with a height of 80 cm. each. They are quite narrow with
an elevation serving as a pillow.
Close to the Amyntas tomb, there is another similar
temple-type rock tomb with a broken column as other tombs.
There are various sarcopahi in Fethiye. One of them
is on the street leading to the rock tombs and another is located
near the governor's office. The latter one dates back to the year
340 B.C. It has reliefs and has stood intact up to the present.
The reliefs on the the lid depict four warriors with shields in
their hands and a man in a long robe sitting on the right. There
are figures also on the sides.
In addition, there are the two sarcophagi at the Cumhuriyet
district, dated to the fourth century B.C. one of which has also
reliefs which are quite demolished.
It is located on a hill on the southern side. It is
deduced to have been built by St. Johns chevaliers. The northern
portion of the fortress facing the wharf is protected by two
walls, one encircled by the other. On the walls of the fortress
there are some blocks from the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
These blocks have been utilized haphazardly.
There is a cistern of undetermined date and two small, plain
rock tombs at the fortress.
It is located among the souvenier shops at
Paspatur. The Old Mosque, built in 1791, was repaired several
times, always remaining true to its original, almost square-like,
plan. There is an the inscription in the Ottoman language on the
entrance door as follows: "The Governor of Algeria, Mustafa Pasha
had this mosque built. May God grant him a place in heaven for
this, the year 1216" indicating the date. The Governor of Algeria,
Mustafa Pasha, mentioned here was born in the Yaka village of
It is located at Paspatur. It was built in 1891 on a 430
square meters site. It has two sections, one for men and one for
women. The building with 14 domes is built on 6 arches. The
historical Fethiye bath is still functioning in our day.
MENTEŞE BEY TOMB
This is a tomb located next to the Gül Mosque at the
Bademlibahçe district of Fethiye. Menteşe Bey killed in 1282 while
trying to take over Meğri (Fethiye) from the Byzanthian Empire is
buried in this tomb. The tomb was built by Ahmet Gazi who was the
nephew of Menteşe Bey and the governor of Milas and Beçin. The
tomb has a dome supported by walls of unhewn stone. Inside there
is a marble grave, the bead of which is covered with the Turkish
flag. It is surrounded by chains to prevent handling. Except for
the grave, the floor of the tomb is covered by rugs and carpets.
THE TOMB WITH NETTLE TREE (Günlükbaşı)
It is a tomb under the nettle tree at Günlükbaşı. The
wife of Menteşe Bey is buried here. It was built by Ahmet Gazi
(born ? -died 1391), the nephew of Menteşe Bey.